Mom at Ease as her Daughter Studied in Taiwan

As mother who traveled for a living in the USA only, I did not have an experience of going abroad to guide my daughter. Points of view of  friends and family we spoke to about going abroad depended on if they had gone abroad.

Our experience was an outreaching of support in every aspect.  Carol Ann had to do all the paper work on her own and then was able to receive financial and moral support from all of her close family.  The universe even added to my life a woman I met on a plane in the February before Carol Ann went, who had a close girl friend who’s daughter had just been to Taipei in January of that year.  Meeting this young woman with Carol Ann gave me the ease of mind I needed as her parent and the rest fell into place.

I sent her with two phones, one international and one she would put the new SIM card into, that way when she was coming back to the USA or had an issue in Taiwan she was always covered.

In this day in age with technology, she was able to video chat often, which helped us all stay in touch while she was abroad. I personally joined the golf course next door to make myself focus on me, and I took many local trips to enjoy my summer, but nothing too far that would not allow me to be available if I was needed.  I am very proud of Carol Ann taking this experience and allowing it to transform her into a more confident leader. 

She even needed medical care while she was there and that all went fantastic!

She had a great time and would absolutely do it again!

By Becky Webb
Becky Webb Pathways Program Coordinator, Peace Corps Prep Coordinator, GEO Admin. Coordinator