Where I Went, What I Learned; Wooster Shares Their Transformative Travel Experiences – Becky Webb

Becky Webb: Pathways Program Coordinator, GEO Admin. Coordinator, Peace Corps Prep Coordinator

“Many things I thought were just ‘normal’ for humans were actually part of my specific culture.”

Where I Went:

Israel

Why I Went:

I didn’t have any plans that semester (I had graduated college and just finished a semester-long subbing job). My friend suggested I join her in studying in Jerusalem (I audited my classes). It was an easy yes because I love living in other countries.

What I Learned:

The school I was studying at had students from all over the world and many became my close friends. I learned so much from each of them. In particular, I remember one moment when I made a comment to my Japanese friend Chihiro about how we all obviously want to be unique and to stand out as individuals. He stopped me there and told me that in Japanese culture, it was generally more desirable to be like others in the group. I was startled because I’d assumed that my normal was everyone’s normal and I was so wrong. That realization has helped me to stop making assumptions about what other people’s expectations might be in a situation.

By Becky Webb
Becky Webb Pathways Program Coordinator, Peace Corps Prep Coordinator, GEO Admin. Coordinator